Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Not our baby.

Well, that's that.
We had the case review meeting this morning and, unless lightening strikes or her dad totally messes up somehow, he's getting her back.
Probably in September.

He's doing everything he's supposed to be doing. He's on track to get an apartment in the next few weeks. They've increased his visits to unsupervised, with a long one (6 hours) one day a week. More of his adult children are coming out of the woodwork to say they'll support him and help him out once he has her back.

Her mom has popped back in a little bit. She's headed for jail and treatment in the near future, and said outright (to one of the case workers) that she knows she's not up for taking the baby at this point, but she knows the dad is working on it and she's happy about that. So she's probably going to be TPRed and have some sort of restraining order regarding the dad and baby. Whatever.

I know this is the plan. I know I have had no reason, lately, to think that she would stay with us. That doesn't help, though. I want her. I love her. She's becoming such a little person lately, and her personality is coming out so much more. I *like* her.

We have to work with her dad so the transition is as smooth as possible. That's what we can give her. We've given her so much so far and it will help her for the rest of her life, yadda yadda...I just don't care. I want her to be my baby forever and nothing will ever make it okay that she's not.

I don't know what to do now.

4 comments:

No Longer In Crisis said...

Oh you two - I am so sorry. I don't even know what to say. I wanted Niblet to be yours forever too. You will always be her moms - nothing can ever take away your time together. Again, I am so sorry.

heather said...

I'm so sorry!

Julie said...

I feel for you! I trust that for whatever reason this is what is best for YOU TWO as well. I can't understand or explain but I have to hold on to something in the midst of this. If the state is going to do this- you have to accept it. I am going through the same thing. Hang in there!!!

FosterMom said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. We may be faced with this very same thing in another 3 months, and I dread it. We've had Little Guy since he was 3-1/2 weeks old, and he just turned 6 months. I can't even imagine him going back to his parents, but it may happen. My heart truly goes out to you. Make the very most of these next few months. And always remember, you have truly, truly made a lifetime difference in this little life. She will forever be stronger because of the start you gave her. And she will always have you praying for her well-being - that will make a world of difference. I know it will be hard. You will definitely be in my prayers!