Saturday, August 16, 2008

Take my survey?

FosterMommy and I were recently asked by some friends to talk to other friends of theirs who were going through a similar foster care hell to what we experienced with Niblet. We did, and we hit it off great and we wish them tons of healing and strength as they go through the worst of losing their little boy. I also talked a bit with the mom about foster care reform and activism.

Foster care is such a broken system. My personal strong opinion is that it should be abolished completely, 100%, and all the money and resources that go toward CPS type services should instead go toward poverty-alleviation measures. I'm 1000% sure that it would keep kids safer, and it would obviously keep families together, and help adults and communities as well.

Anyway, that's not about to happen. But, I'm not going to spend all my energy pushing for foster care reform. Still, I'd like to do something.

As a foster parent, I wished for a national organization for foster parents. Mutual support, referrals for local lawyers, a blog roll, ASFA information, whatever. I'd like to try to create this, starting with a piece aimed at foster care system improvements. Since foster care is regulated at federal, state and local levels, and done differently in every area, it's complicated. But I made this simple short survey focusing on foster care reform and I'd like to use it to get an idea if what I think are the general big problems are the same things others see, and if not then what are.

If you're a foster parent who thinks the system needs to change, would you take it? And send your own blog readers over here to take it, too?

Click Here to take survey

Thanks all!!

Sorry for the crappy sentence structure here - I'm tired.

6 comments:

Jessa Fee said...

Thank you for doing this! I will gladly take your survey-- and if it's okay, I will post a link to it on my blog, too (even though I'm blogging in stealth mode for the time being).

Kristine said...

sorry if this appears twice...

I really wanted to take this survey but I think my answers would skew your results. We've had two very different experiances from this year and last although I've had the same two children, my only fosters, and the adoption is closing soon.
Last year they were terrible, we didn't hear from anyone for six months. The County did not even know if I still had the kids.
This year has been a turn around and they have really stepped up.
So, although I am not taking the survey I think it's great and wonder if there is a way for you to post the results when you close it? I'd be very curious to know.

StarfishMom said...

How's that Squeak baby?? Not so little anymore. Have you heard anything from Niblet's family??? UPDATE SOON PLEASE!!! :)

Overwhelmed! said...

I will take a look at your survey. I definitely think the foster care system is broken and, as a foster mom, I'm experiencing it first hand!

I’m also stopping by to let you know that I’m hosting the “Holiday Cooking, Blogger Style” recipe exchange again this year, coming up this Friday. I hope you can join me and if you’re willing to help me spread the news, I’m offering a giveaway as well!

Anonymous said...

Are you familiar with the Mockingbird society model? This is a foster care advocacy organization that has created a model of foster care that is being researched and the results are very positive. I have a friend who works for them. Check it out at mockinbirdsociety.org. They are trying to "fix" the foster care system.

StarfishMom said...

Hoping you're too busy with baby # 2 to update :) Wishful thinking!!! I'd LOVE to hear what's new with Squeak!